Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.
Are period changes normal?
Most anyone I ask is either on birth control or has been pregnant or has done BOTH. So for anyone who is in their late twenties, hasnt been pregnant or on birth control:
Have you noticed your period changed over time?
I remember my periods being heavy, with clots and sometimes at night, I would leak through my pad and have to change more often. It would last around 5 days, being heavy-ish on the first 3 days and then lighter for the last 2. I would always get painful cramps.
Now that I'm 29, it seems like my period is more manageable. I dont have to worry about leaking often. It seems lighter and I almost dont get anything on pad all night. I also dont have as much cramping as before.
Is this normal? I know some people have been getting changes to their menstrual cycle after taking birth control but I've never taken it so I dont know what else to attribute these changes to. I am hoping it's not perimenopause at my age or any changes in hormones that could affect pregnancy.
Thanks in advance
Also my cycles are normal, around 28 days on average.
- ?Lv 72 months ago
VERY normal. Me:
1. Ages 12-14, the beginning, so not really any cycle until I was about 15. Light, then heavy, then light, then nonexistent for 4 months, whatever.
2. Ages 15-18, 27 day cycle, heavier than all hell (would bleed through a tampon and pad in less than an hour for 3 days), but cramps weren't bad...yet.
3. 19-24, 32 day cycle, still had heavy days, and cramps were the mother-effing WORST during this time in my life. And CLOTS, CLOTS, CLOTS like crazy.
4. 25-33, 30 day cycle, 6 days a week, heavy for 4 days, cramps not terrible, but my emotional PMS was through the ROOF. It was horrible. Still had the clots.
5. 33-Current (36), 29 day cycle, physical PMS worse (headaches, sore boobs, bloating), period cravings worse, cramps worse, BUT shorter cycle, one bad heavy day, days 2 and 3 like...hardly anything, 4th day, Niagara Bloody Falls, then DONE. Next to NO clots at all.
I have never ever in my life met a woman who was a perfect 28 days cycle from puberty to menopause, 5 day period, typical 2 heavy days, tapering off the last 3. These women don't exist. It changes as you get older. I confirmed this with many doctors over the years to make sure that I was ok. They all said the same thing, that as you age, your periods get better, then get worse, then get better and back and forth until menopause. You're normal :)