Should I buy a desktop iMac?

I have a MacBook Air 256gb version, 8GB of RAM and Intel core 2 duo. It is a 2019 MacBook and it has BigSur operating system on it.

So far I had been content with it and do everything with it, and I also have a small PC laptop, 11.6 inch screen that has Windows 10, 64GB emmc hard drive, and 4GB of RAM that I run my Windows applications on. 

I mostly use my MacBook because unless work demands it, I go and use my windows laptop. 

Should I go ahead and get the iMac desktop computer? 

Favorite Answer

I have an 2015 iMac and love it but why would you need to buy an iMac as long as your MacBook Air is working for you. Still many years left on your MacBook Air. 

• 

What you should do is what makes you function the most efficiently.

One of the things you can do to make your life less cluttered and function more efficiently is to set up Windows in Boot Camp on the MacBook Air and sell the small PC laptop.

Otherwise, Colin is pretty much right on.

• Lv 7

i don't like iMacs, simply because they are all-in-one computers.

this poses a problem, for several reasons, but the 2 most prominent to me are:

1. you don't get to choose the monitor size like you do with a real desktop.

2. if the screen breaks on an all-in-one computer, there's no replacing it. you have to buy a whole new computer.

The 2019 MacBook Air does not have a Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, the newest MacBook Air to have a Core 2 Duo is the 2010 model, which can't run Big Sur. So I'm assuming you probably have an i3 or i5 processor if it's a 2019 model.

As for the iMac, I would hold off for now, Apple is expected to release a brand new redesigned iMac later this year that will feature Apple's own processor, rather than Intel. The current generation hasn't been redesigned since 2012 and has only had minor performance updates over the years.