Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Received my deceased mother's tax refund check?

My mom filed her return last April, passed away in August and I just received her refund check in the mail. Is there any way that I can keep this money? It would help me pay my debt to the funeral home. Also, there wasn't any estate planning involved so there is no estate account.  

Update:

My mom didn't have any assets. I'm her only surviving relative. I'm an only child, dad passed away as well. Not sure if that changes anything. 

Update 2:

Also, her only income was social security, so no need to file tax return for 2020.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

If you managed her estate return the check with form 1310 and request it be reissued in your name.  If you mother had a bank account that you haven't closed yet, write "for deposit to account xxx" and put it in the ATM then draw it back out in cash later.

• 2 months ago

Yeah, you go to probate court, get a judge to appoint you as executor of her estate (even if there isn't really any estate except this check), open up an account for the estate, etc.

May or may not be worth the effort depending on how much money is involved.

• Amy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No planning doesn't mean no estate.

The executor of her estate (or probate administrator if her will didn't name an executor) should deposit the check to the estate's bank account. They shouldn't distribute it to heirs until after filing this year's tax return in case they owe money.

• 2 months ago

It is part of her estate.  The estate includes all her assets at time of death, regardless of what her planning was  You need to go through probate.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

The money is simply part of her estate. If you are her heir, you get the money.

• 2 months ago

You need to review the probate laws in your state.

If you don't need to probate the estate, then the money is yours.

If you do, then you need to follow the probate regulations in your state to see how to handle the money.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.