Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

2000 Ford Taurus Check Engine Light And Small Amount of White smoke?

today my 2000 ford taurus with 89,000 miles has started shaking slightly while idling on park also seems to struggle on first start but nothing bad and very small amount of white smoke is coming out of tailpipe also my check engine light will flash about 4 times then stay solid it was driving so well for awhile and now its giving me an issue car is not overheating at all its normal in between H and C could i just have bad spark plugs car still drives.

Update:

i did a scanner check and all they said was Bad EGR valve could that be it idk seems like everyone like ron here is a smart a$$ yahoo answers has went downhill 

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Put a set of Motorcraft spark plugs in it. 

• 1 month ago

You need to scan the OBD2 to see what code it's throwing and that will tell you why the car's acting up. There are a few other things you can do trying to figure this out without an OBD2 scanner.  You can check the spark plugs and spark plug wires, if you know how. An OBD2 scan is easiest and not a guess, but the truth.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

What is/are the trouble codes?  A scanner will not tell you exactly that a part is bad.  It will just tell you that a system is working outside of specifications.  And white smoke is not good.  If the smoke smells like gas, an injector could be sticking open. 

And Ron is not a smart ***.  You got the codes AFTER he told you to do so.

• 1 month ago

Yes, it could be a bad EGR valve, which means you can disassemble that and clean out the passages and replace as/if needed. That might be enough to fix the issue. The EGR valve could be over-pressuring your system to force some oil into the cylinders, but you're more likely looking at oil leak-down from the cylinder valve seals or possibly some intake manifold issues. Since all of those could be issues because of age, not mileage, I'd suggest a coolant system leak-down test to eliminate the worse case issues like bad gaskets after you clear the EGR issue. If your valve seals are leaking you can sort of ignore that or put new seals in place using compressed air to keep the valves in place as you do it. 

You should be able to clear the codes, drive the car a little and see if they pop back up, which they should so you can double-check the EGR code hit. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

BASIC LACK OF MAINTENANCE...

iT'S 20 YEARS OLD and I'll bet it never got the factory recommended service

GET A FULL SYSTEM DIAGNOSTIC, not just a cheap handheld scanner

GET A TUNE UP

REPLACE THE EGRV

CHANGE THE FILTERS

CLEAN OR CHANGE THE SPARK PLUGS

REPLACE THE SPARK PLUG WIRES 

REPLACE THE BELTS AND HOSES

CHANGE THE OIL AND FILTER

FLUSH AND REFILL THE COOLING SYSTEM

FLUSH THE BRAKE SYSTEM

INSPECT THE BRAKES

ROTATE THE TIRES

YADA, YADA, YADA.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.