Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 month ago

Do police still have megaphones on their vehicles?

I remember examples this a lot in movies and video games where police could say something to the suspect they were chasing after from within their car. But I've seen very few examples of this in real world videos or police interactions with the public nowadays.

Do they still have this ability within their squad cars, or is it only certain departments? Why is it rarely used?

They generally have public address systems on their vehicles, yes.

Police never had megaphones on their vehicles.

• Bruce

The siren is also a speaker, and his microphone is hooked up to it. I only use it on a high risk stop or to order the person back in their car if they exit right away. 

The cruiser's siren can be used as a megaphone since it is a speaker.