Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 2 months ago

If you get really thirsty on the moon can you grab a rock and chew on it?

Update:

Its just a hypothetical question. I know they have water, and i know they cant take off thier helmets.

Update 2:

The reason i ask is because i heard the moon is basically i giant cube of ice, (i do not know if this is true or not). So i was wondering if the rocks on top of the layer of the moon have some form of water in them.

Update 3:

Why are people so rude on here, or assume that your a troll just for asking a simple question?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

No more than you can grab a rock on Earth and chew on it if you are thirsty.

The moon is not a giant cube of ice, the moon is a giant sphere of rock with some water ice in some craters.

Some moons of the gas and ice giant planets are ice, but not our moon.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No; it is rock. There is no water known to exist on the Moon, so such actions would be pointless.

• 2 months ago

Wow, Robert is REALLY stupid.

The FAR side of the Moon is lit up half the time, and dark the other half.

And no, there is so little water, maybe a few atoms, in an average Moon rock that even if you could suck it out, it would be far, *far*, FAR too little for any part of your senses to notice.

• Robert
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Yes, especially the rocks from the dark side of the moon.  They have a higher water content since there is no sunlight there.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Lets see now: if you get really thirsty in the middle of the Sahara desert, can you grab a handful of sand and chew on it?

No? Funny that. So why would chewing a rock from the sterile, dessicated, cold, irradiated surface of the moon make you less thirsty?

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

If you happen to grab a rock that is lying near a crater of frozen ice, then yes it is possible. It could be full of toxic minerals though.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

There is signs of water on the Moon and it can be Extracted or even Manufactured from what is there

To bring up what is actually required would create costly Mass

There is also a case for recycling

But there are no Ice Cubes and the Seas and Oceans are barren plains of rock, not water

Attachment image
  • 2 months ago

Astronauts had a small water pack in their spacesuits, with a tube they could get a drink from;  it was much more convenient than trying to take off their helmets to chew on rocks. 

They did find some water ice on the moon - but, it's at the bottom of craters at the poles, where the sun never reaches to raise the temperature.  

The soil of the Moon was found to contain more water than expected - but, it wasn't expected to contain *any*.... as it is, the portions of the surface in sunlight *do* contain some water molecules, but the surface itself is still drier than the Sahara desert. 

• 2 months ago

So you will rather to chew on a rock in outer space instead of getting a bottle of water from the rocket? Astronauts do bring food with them.

• 2 months ago

Don't know. Haven't been to it yet. Isn't it made of cheese though?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.