Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

Will I weigh less if I drink my calories instead of eating them?

Theoretically speaking, if I were to go on a liquid diet where all of my intake is in liquid form... but I still consume the same amount of calories I would from solid food....would I weigh less or the exact same?

10,000 calories are 10,000 calories weather you eat or drink them.  Eat a sensible diet, high protein, low carbs, close to fat free, sugar free.  No pop, juices or sports drinks (energy drinks too)

Cut down to a diet of 1100 - 1300 calories per day.  You will see the weight pretty much fall off.  Up your activity level to up your heart rate.

• Rita

When people eat calories in the form of solid food, they naturally compensate by reducing the rest of their food intake. But when people ingest liquid calories, they don't compensate for them by eating fewer calories, studies show.

A steak hoagie smoothie still has the same caloric impact as a steak hoagie..

• Drink protein shakes as a replacement for breakfast or lunch (not dinner though)

.maybe you would weigh more because breaking down food takes energy.

if it is already broken down calories maybe available faster and trigger a spike in hormones.

liquidizing food is a gimmick to flog blenders it does not improve nutrition and often makes it worse.

for example an orange eaten normally it is full of fiber and the sugars are absorbed slowly.

blended is just bang, big sugar hit.

Nope.  Calories are calories.  But it's even worse than that because you are likely to not get enough fiber if you get all your calories from liquids.  Fiber is necessary for proper gut health and your gut health affects your overall health in many important ways.  You're actually much better off doing the opposite, getting your calories from food and drinking water.  Furthermore most drinks, even ones that are advertised as "healthy", have added sugar which isn't going to help.

The same. Calories are calories.