Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Did Jesus command us to love one another ?

25 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes *************

• Phil M
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No, that was John Lennon.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

This is the second greatest commandment he gave and he told people to love another as their neighbors.   You should love yourself too because Jesus wants you to love your neighbor as yourself.  How can you give love to others if you do not love yourself to. 

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

One condition Jesus sets is this: “I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.”—John 13:34, 35.

Jesus requires his followers to have genuine love for one another and for the rest of mankind.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Carym
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Real Christians cannot help but love. You cannot stop it; it is an inflow that demands an outflow. [Romans 5: 5]

Of course, we get a little worked up when someone deliberately distorts God's word. But then we forgive, and we move on --- until next time. 

• Paul
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Not only to love "one another", but to love our enemies, and to do good for those who persecute us.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, and I sure wish that cute chick across the aisle would heed this.

• 1 month ago

Yes, as our own selves.

• 1 month ago

It is a command Jesus gave, yes. There's nothing optional about it. As Jesus loved us, so we are to love others. Sacrificially. Forgivingly. Caringly. Agape love is the Greek word He used - Principled love, looking for the other person's good even if you don't like them or trust them. That's the kind of love the Father and the Son have for us, you see. Christians are commanded to love their neighbor as themselves, and each other in the faith. Unlike Confucius who negatively said not to do to others what you would not like them to do to you, Jesus positively opened up the way to take the initiative in doing good to others even if they don't do good to you.

• 1 month ago

That is in John 13:34, but since John was written 80 years or so after Jesus died, there is a strong possibility that he did not say it, but the author of John wanted to communicate that idea.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.