Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Is open Parmesan cheese safe to eat after a month? ?

It’s still in date but the back says “once open use within 5 days” but it’s sealed closed and looks fine. Is it just a precaution the recommendation on the back or is it still ok to use?

• ?

And since parmesan is a long-lasting cheese, it should still be okay for a few weeks past that date. Once you open the package, the parmesan should retain best quality for about 1 to 2 months. ... Once you open the package, use the cheese within 3 to 5 days for best quality, and maybe up to 7 days for an okay quality.

• JOHN B

It could have been up to 3yr old before you got it.

If it doesn't look like blue cheese, youre good.

Cheese is mold anyways, hahaha.

Wisconsin here, Nobody ever died from moldy cheese (Maybe in Cali, they know crap about dairy, not to mention everything else).

You good.

• ?

In my experience, Parmesan lasts quite a while, if its kept closed it should be fine,  just use your judgement. 

• ?

I use mine for a while after opining.  If it's pre-shredded and gets green spots or if it smells sour, then it's time to pitch it.

Cheese is a fungus. It has already rotted. It will last, properly refrigerated indefinitely.

No, not OK at all

Source(s): Royal Cornwall Hospital Treliske

I'm using a block of Parmesan I opened 3 months ago, and I won't finish it for another month. Cheese is safe to eat until it gets moldy and even after that, in dry cheeses like Parmesan, if you cut the mold off.

The only reason I can think of to have 'use within 5 days' on a package of cheese is that the government requires such labelling for some reason I can't fathom, or that the cheese will be past its best in terms of taste. That happens to some cheeses once they are exposed to air. I doubt if most people would notice such a change in Parmesan.

• kswck2

'Open' Parmesean cheese will dry out a bit over time. But assuming it has not started to Mold, it is fine. 

• ?

Yes, as long as it isn’t moldy.