Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

I'm terrified of becoming schizophrenic? please help?

There are multiple people in my family who have schizophrenia. There could be even more because my aunt acts weird as well. On my dads side, his sister has it and his other sister has some kind of issue that we aren't sure of. Along with that, my dads cousin and uncle also have it. On my moms side, her dad's sister had it. I am a 22 year old female with crazy anxiety regarding going insane and existentialism. I had a pretty bad existential crisis a little over a year ago when I read too much **** online (like solipsism, simulation theory, etc. you name it, literally any theory that is disturbing would pop in my head and I would be scared i believed it.) The thoughts felt like delusions, like I would get worried that what I was thinking about was real (me being alone in a simulation) but I would also be scared I was developing schizophrenia. It was so confusing because I couldn't tell if I was believing these thoughts or my anxiety was making me think I was. I was later able to calm down and not think about it as much. But recently these thoughts have been coming up again mainly because my dad brought up his schizophrenic uncle and it triggered the **** out of me. I'm so scared. Please help me 

You should make an appointment to see your family doctor about this...especially if you are experiencing intrusive thoughts that you don't want and can't get rid of. 

This is the right thing to do.  Write down EVERYTHING that you are worried about and include your own family history of schizophrenia.  Let the doctor test you or refer you to someone who can do the testing.  You need to find out. 

Also remember that Schizophrenia is not a primarily inherited medical condition.  It can skip many generations.

What we should tell you most of all is to avoid drug abuse - very dangerous to those who have schizophrenia in their families. The fact that this is in your family does not mean you'll get it. Web MD is one of the sites online that tells you about factors that contribute to the illness, such as childhood trauma and depression, and things that make getting the illness less likely, such as stress management. I'll show you an answer with advice from experts about stress rated Best, 5 Stars - 

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20...

An expert says that those who fear stress the least suffer the smallest effects of stress. If there was no stress at all in your life, you'd be bored, and boredom is not healthy. Actors say they love the excitement of opening night in the theater. Excitement, not fear.

If you think you may be suffering from an anxiety disorder, advice from experts in my answers. 

I don't see anything scary about the simulation thing. It's a big So what? to me.