Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Compromise Agreement- Employer wants to extend termination date?

My employer made us sign a Compromise Agreement in January as it is restructuring and phasing out our department.

The termination date is mid-April.

Today we were informed that the termination date will be extended as the company has not yet reached the expected level of Knowledge Transfer.

We are not sure how longer this will be extended but I do not want to stay past my initial termination date.

Can the company force me to stay or penalise me on the amount they have offered to pay on the agreement?

• Maxi

You can go find yourslf a new job and give whatever is your legal notice to leave UNLESS your signed agreement states differently......so read it

You need to look at the original agreement.  If it states your bonus payment for staying until X date without any other conditions or fuzziness like 'company can extent', then you don't have to agree to anything else.  You can also negotiate a higher payment, but it all comes down to what was in the original written agreement.  (Nothing written = nothing is real)

• Alex

You don't say what country you are in, but in the US, employment is at-will.  which means you are free to leave any time you want.