Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Leonardo Da Vinci, coming from Turkish roots. Does this mean he was a spy for the Ottoman Turks?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Well Byzantines fled when Turkey invaded. So intellectuals did come from that area if thats what you mean

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No he wasn't.  Where'd you get that hogwash?

• Chiara
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

he also worked for the KGB, 

I'm Italian, I know better.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Leonardo Da Vinci... Turkish roots?! Bahahahahaha! Now I've seen everything! Leonardo's genealogy traces his family's roots to Spain and Morocco and reveals how an eccentric grandfather, Antonio da Vinci, may have influenced the early education of the Tuscan genius. No way can he be from that terroristic, genocidal, hypocritical, brainwashing, media restricting (158th out of 180 in the world!), sorry excuse of a country.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Craig
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

It's unlikely that he worked for the Sultan due to any Turkish heritage.  His dad's line was well-established in the Florentine village of Vinci for six or seven generations before Leonardo was born...we know that much.  And his mom was the daughter of a local farmer, named Caterina Lippi (not terribly Turkish), a fact which only recently came to light.

Leonardo did seek commissions from the Sultan, of course.  And there is constant conjecture that his ancestors were this or that:  Turkish, Jewish, Russian, Azeri, or even Chinese.  But there's no scholarship behind any of those claims.  Until an actual scholar can document something in a way that withstands any scrutiny, we'll have to assume that he was a flower on ordinary Florentine rootstock.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.