Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 month ago

How can I train myself to like the taste of fish?

I am always disgusted by the taste of fish. Just the smell and taste makes me wanna gag. The only time that seems to be an exception is with certain sushi where it doesn't have a strong smell and I dip it in a lot of sauce that masks the fishy taste. But I always wanted to better train my tongue to be able to eat grilled fish or any fish meals. 

Is it possible to change that and train myself to like it? How would I go about it? Anyone with similar experiences?

Just keep eating it seafood is the best get crab legs and salmon is the best fish

• ?

Why do you have to "train" yourself, anonytroll? There are many kinds of fish and they don't all "taste alike".  If I were cynical, I's say you only ate meat and potatoes, none of the "yucky vegetables", and had foul-smelling feces, but I'm not cynical.

NOPE.

Lemon works, Tarter sauce for others.

I LOVE the taste of fish, the smell is a bit offsetting before cooked, and I stopped eating canned Tuna for like 3 years cause I bit into a bone.

Poached Salmon would be my last meal, but hahaha, would probably get a bone.

If you don't like fish, why try change that?

I bet you google people who don't like fish and you will be part of the majority.

I've never had a problem, so can't say.

I also live on Lake Michigan, so the smell comes and goes, still love me a Friday fish fry.

If you know it's Fish, you will not like it.

Get over it or except it.

Tell yourself atleast it's not baby calves, hahaha, I still will not eat Veal.

Also had Foie Gras and it did nothing for me.

Chilean Sea Bass is Great, when I heard they were overfishing I was like "Damn", but now not so much cause they are off the endangered list.

Went Off, but, plug your nose and let your taste buds convince you that fish is good (unless you get a bad piece and a bone into the roof of your mouth) hahaha.

The fish you're eating was probably frozen before, which is why it smells fishy.  If you can buy fresh caught fish, it's way different, and shoudl never smell fishy.  If it does, it's been frozen before.

I am exactly like you. The only seafood I will eat is deep fried scallops and sushi made from a sweet seafood like tuna or scallops. Other than that, I cannot stand to eat any of it. I have tried, but seriously, I just gave up because it was just not worth the torture, and now that I am vegan, I don't even worry about it any more. The only way you are going to get used to eating seafood is to actually eat it. Time and again. It just isn't worth it to me.

• ?

Shrimp, scallops, crab, lobster, breaded fish filets, the gateway foods that get you into seafood. That said, if you really don’t like them, why force yourself?

• kswck2

Nope. You either do or you don't. If stranded on a deserted island you learn because you Have To. Shor of that, you just don't. 

I'd just say wait until you grow up a bit and learn not to eat things you don't like.

Based on your description, I'm not sure it's possible to change how your taste buds think about fish. But you can try, just don't be furious if it doesn't work  (After all you don't like fish!)

• .

Just saying, with the vast majority of foods, people can acquire a taste for them. Some try and fail, year in, year out (like me with melon...I will not touch it, I hate it that much, but Lord knows I've tried!). You can break yourself in by trying it in the most unhealthy ways possible, namely fried and greasy. This method works well for a lot of people who want to get used to the strong flavors. A good example of this method would be coffee. Many people start with super-sweet lattes and blended drinks. Some people just stick to these, but many others end up trying just plain coffee with cream and sugar, then just cream OR sugar. Some go black and leave out the cream and sugar completely, but this wasn't overnight: it took time to train their palate to like the bitter taste.

I would also try lighter fish, like tilapia, flounder, cod, and halibut. These aren't as strong, are incredibly versatile, and have a sweeter taste than stronger fish, like mackerel, tuna, and salmon. Catfish and trout, in my opinion, are on the gamey side and shouldn't be eaten (unless fried in batter, SO GOOD!) until you've gotten a taste for it. I love it all, personally.

At the end of the day, if you don't like it, you don't like it. You gave it the old college go and your tongue just isn't having it. That's just fine. Many people do not like fish, but good on you for trying. So start with fried and greasy, pair with sauces, butter, garlic, keep at it, and be patient. It may take a month, may take a year, may take many more tries and you either like it or you're done. Don't force yourself to like something you will never like. I've hated melon since birth, but up until I was 32 (I'm 36 now), I tried it once a year to see if anything changed. NOPE. So 32 years of trying, and I threw in the towel. No point anymore.