Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Can you help me with English please?

- How will our boys win a medal?

- If a medal could be won with words, you would have won it a long time ago.- Are you new here?

- Yes.

What does this "a medal could be won with words" mean exactly?

Thank you.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It means that if awards were handed out for how well someone speaks, then this person would have won that award a long time ago. It means they speak well.

• 1 month ago

I agree with @? 

This could mean two things depending on larger context. 

*Could mean he's braggart. Like saying "you're all talk."

*Or he's a skilled talker, but that's not what's important. In let's say, a physical compe etition.

I think it's the braggart. Since words are not important, given the statement" if a medal could be won with words"

Source(s): Native American English speaker.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Without the rest of the story, it's hard to say which one of these is correct: it could either mean the person is good at saying they will win something but physically they're not doing it, like theyare all talk and no action, or it could also mean that their words are really good and how they speak which is doubtful but again you would have to read the rest of the story to understand it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.