Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Service Tire Monitor System error, but sensors are supposedly good?? ?

Hi. I have a 2008 chevy malibu and the service tire monitor system light came on. I looked in my vehicle info and it showed both front tires not reading a pressure so I assumed bad sensors/batteries.

I took it to a local tire store and they said sensors are fine (batteries are strong) and relearned the sensors to the car. Light stayed off for one day and came back on. Repeated this a couple of times but light still comes on. Any ideas?? I have access to a tech 2 scanner, but admittedly not very proficient using it. 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Cars lived 100 years without these tire air sensors. Ignore the light and check the air pressure with a gauge that doesn't lie. Beats spitting into the wind like what you are doing. 

• 1 month ago

OBD2 scanners do not diagnose TPMS.  Check the TPMS system fuse. If you have a spare tire with a monitor in in, don't forget to check that.

• CB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Shot in the dark here - but I have had USB adapters (in cigarette lighter) cause TPMS lights to come on in a vehicle. Talk about a head-scratcher trying to figure that out. 

Just a thought - basically the monitors communicate with low frequency radio waves (likely bluetooth) to the computer and can get interrupted - turn off all BT items in the car as a test too.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.