How Do I Withdraw From A Job Without Burning Bridges?

I was offered a job in Jan and have been going through security clearances since, it's now March and I still haven't heard the results. I was told the process would take around 2 weeks which doesn't seem to be the case. I want to withdraw from the role as I can't wait much longer without a job and will need to take another position elsewhere. Whats the best way to inform them without causing too much damage as they've spent this time doing the checks.

• Alex
    Favorite Answer

A simple, "I'm sorry but I cannot allow myself to remain unemployed and so I've since accepted another position elsewhere."  They need to know that their dragging their feet cost them their candidate.  It's not going to reflect poorly on you.

Listen.  You continue to apply for jobs and if one comes along you take it.  Let the other one continue doing their 'security clearances'.  If they contact you back eventually and that job is a better opportunity than the job you took making edible flower arrangements for god-only-knows-who then you stop stuffing your face with fruit and go with the other job.

• Rita

Make sure you really do want to drop out. First things first, are you certain you want to withdraw your job application or are you just afraid of change? ...

Let the hiring manager know ASAP. ...

Offer an explanation. ...

Keep it positive. ...

Follow a template.

Do you have another position that has been offered to you?  If you don't, why would you withdraw from this one.  It could take weeks or months to find a different job and this one might come through in the next hour (doubtful but it could).

You continue looking for a job and if you find one, you can approach this company with that information if you are still interested in working for this company. Or just take the other job, if you think that's a better fit, and tell them that this other opportunity came up and you need to accept it. 

• Tavy

Thank you for your offer but due to time taken I have decided to take a job elsewhere.

tell them the truth.  you need a job now and can't wait and there's a position starting right now.  Or just wait it out.