Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 2 months ago

Which movie was your greatest cinematic experience?

E.T  was mine which I went to see seven times as a kid.

Yes Susan I'm sure I did.

Favorite Answer

I loved ET as well.  did you cry.

• F

Jaws.           

2001 A Space Odyssey.

Not only did I get my dad to take me to it, twice, when it first came out (I so wanted to go a second time because it just utterly blew and expanded my mind), and it's one that I still watch at least once a year.

But, one specific viewing stands out above the rest.

In 1999-2002 I was dating a woman who lived near New York City. When I'd be there with her (I'm from Canada), we'd often go into Manhattan for dinner and touristy things.

In 2001, a 70 millimeter digitally restored print of 2001 was being shown from one city to the next, across the US. As it happened, I was at her home on 9/11, in New Jersey, and that day was, well, memorable in all the bad ways. By that afternoon, from her apartment, I would see and smell the smoke coming from the destroyed WTC.

So, that fall was not all fun and games after those events. But, in December, that digital print played for a week in a major movie house in the theater district, and we went.

When the lights went down, and the curtain opened, and the film started, well, for the next two and a half hours, all of the events of 9/11 completely left my thoughts and I was transported back into this now alternate universe where that year meant gleaming spaceships, a Moonbase, and so much more.

I really needed that then. It was beautiful.

Casablanca is my favorite movie. I still watch it every year.

several: James Bond*S Skyfall, Star Wars Episode III, Braveheart and Schindlers List

Jurassic Park.......

because I was sitting in the theater when the seats started virbratng, and there was a tremendous roar at the T-Rex came out,  and I was like......WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!  No wonder people are raving about this movie!   The special effects are freaking  AWESOME!!!!!

I was really getting into it and enjoying the hell out of it........

and then the film cut off, and the lights came up,  and..WTF???

I was alone in the theater........ Uhm.........Hello?   Hello?????? 

are they changing reels or what?  where the hell did everyone go? 

Yeah, turned out.....I just sat thru  a 7.8 earthquake.....on Guam in 1993 -

I was looking at the seats when the lights came up,....and I was like.....

wtf?   these aren't special seats?  how did they get them to shake like that ? 

I finally made my way to the lobby when the film wouldn't restart.....and  apparently everyone had run for their lives!   It was a massive earthquake with damage all over the place........so I figured I better high tail it back to the ship.  

But I'll never forget sitting there,  bouncing in my seat, thinking these were the BEST damn special effects I had ever experienced!

Never did get to see the end of the film until years later. 

Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope (1977)

Don't Breathe. I will never forget the audience's reaction to the turkey baster scene; they practically lost their minds.

• GF

Jaws. I've never watched ET. I'd like to watch it but I never see it listed 

• TB12

Not sure what you mean by cinematic experience,,

I had to go see "Blazing Saddles" several times just because I was laughing so hard each time I would miss half the jokes,

After watching "Billy Jack" I left the theater with a whole different attitude about things,

The ending of the original "Carrie" was the only movie that made me jump out of my seat,

I saw "Goodfellas" several times just because it was such a damn good movie,

"The Godfather 2." Still my favorite movie of all time.