Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

Do you think Leonardo Da Vinci, Nicola Tesla and Albert Einstein were some of the smartest and knowledgeable people of their and others time?

Although, Nicola Tesla and Albert Einstein were in a similar era. I mean after the Great Prophets of Gods, then came these 3 people who revolutionized everything, 

No females nominations, only males 

• Verity
    Favorite Answer

How about Mary Engel Pennington, pioneer in refrigeration technology?

Yes, I do think so.

• Herve

Tesla wasn't on the same level as Einstein or da Vinci. The smartest man of the 20th century was probably John von Neumann.

I think in the annals of the smartest people that history has recorded,  you would certainly find all 3 names near the top. 

Smart and knowledgeable aren't necessarily the same thing. Einstein and Tesla were undoubtedly brilliant, but as far as I know they never achieved anything remarkable outside the field of physics (or in the case of Tesla technology that was closely related to physics) and I don't know that there's any reason to suppose they knew much more about art, literature, music, etc than any other educated person of their time.

Aristotle wrote about biology, literary criticism, metaphysics, and much more. Obviously no one is going to cite him in a biology textbook today (outside the context of the history of the field), and his philosophy has been pretty roundly criticized, but there's no denying his influence or the breadth of his interests.  

Let's hear it for Issac Newton and Galileo di Vincenzo Bonaiuti de' Galilei.