Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 month ago

Why vegans or vegetarians must watch their diets and should include all the essential amino acids in what they eat?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 days ago

In general, it's a good idea to redesign your diet on a nutritional basis when you go vegan.  Pulses and peanuts contain more sulphur-containing amino acids than other plant sources of protein, but it takes a long time for this to constitute a problem and if you just have pulses sometimes and grains and seeds at others over a month or so, you should be fine.  Animal protein usually contains all essential amino acids.  But I hardly ever think about it nowadays.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Of the essential amino acids, only one can be difficult to get, and that's lysine. Yet even that can be found or gotten if a wide enough variety of foods are eaten. A bigger issue would be in the actual the absorption of any of the given essential amino acids, and that is something that can actually transcend any given dietary following. Even a person who eats meat or animal products three times a day, and still come up low or deficient for one or more. Which comes down to a malabsorption issue, that without proper diagnostic testing can go unknown. But not all people has a malabsorption issue with any of the ten amino acids, that can have an impact any of the other more than thirty essential micronutrients that we need.

Those who are a vegetarian or a vegan whose diet is planned properly, won't have an issue, that doesn't restrict other food types, beyond meat, and/or some of the other animal based foods, that's acceptable. Those who are more likely to run into an issue with any of the essential amino acids, as well as some other essential micronutrients, such as those who follow the fruitarian diet, or an all raw strict vegetarian diet. That all aside, those who also eats meat, and follows something such as the Paleo diet, can also equally at risk for creating a deficiency somewhere, in one or more of the fourty plus essential nutrients.

I've spent quite a bit of time over the years of my own time, learning about nutrition in general, and the more I learn, the more that my personal stance of there not being a single given diet that will work for everyone becomes stronger, along with the harsh realization, that the nutritional sciences as they are now, are still a soft science.

• 1 month ago

Vegans and vegetarians are not getting some of the essential nutrients as easily from a plant based diet as they would eating a meat based diet. That is why they have to research what plants have those nutrients so they don't end up malnourished, which is an easy thing to have happen if not watched carefully.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Go on then, why?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.