Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 months ago

How would a psychiatrist diagnose a person that convinced someone to kill their son and then stop them just to see if they would do it?

IDK, but I do know that there was much more significance to the actual event than you will ever know.

Psychopath, sociopath, antisocial personality disorder.

I understand the point you are trying to make. The bible isn't for skeptics who don't believe but men and women of faith who believe God spoke to people in ancient times in the form of prophecy. We believe Abraham was a Prophet and genuinely heard God's voice and obeyed God until He prevented him from finally going through with it. 

This might be hard or impossible for some atheists to understand and believe. I learned that some people you cannot change the way they think or believe. I know people who no matter what you say have already decided in their mind that they have the answers and you are 'wasting' their time. For example conspiracy theorists. One guy I know said to me "no one can box me into any way of thinking" and "There is NO WAY God gave man permission to eat meat in the Torah and all the sacrifices in the Temple of Jerusalem came from the pagans". 

Nothing I do can change his way of thinking. He said he believe the Torah could be 60% true or 80% true and maybe the Jews are onto something. He is Jewish himself by the way and also a conspiracy theorist who follows Alex Jones. Just because someone can use kabbalah doesn't mean he knows what it is or where it came from he told me. He is open minded to the idea that Judaism as sealed, preserved and packaged by the rabbis is corrupted and at least partially changed. He even says there were at least 4 Moses's in history but he believes there is something unique and special about the Jews and believes the supernatural might be real. He also believes that there could be aliens more intelligent than us and if that is true that would disqualify most if not all religions. 

He is so passionate about being a vegetarian he doesn't wear leather at all! It has to be 100% non-leather or animal derived. He doesn't eat meat and claims the whole industry including the kosher meat industry needs to be closed down and he claims people can trace the corruption of kosher animal slaughter to 300 years in Krakow Poland. His Tefillin isn't made of leather from a slaughtered animal but stillborn calves and the only reason he wears them is because Tefillin cannot be made any other way but made of actual leather. The ONLY reason he wears them is because someone bought them for him. 

Can I change the way he thinks? I tried and found out it was a futile attempt. There are many people such as atheists like that. Am I going to argue to the point of infinity and get nowhere? Nope. If you are interested in LISTENING and LEARNING I am willing to teach people about the Noahide laws or Judaism if they are Jewish. I only teach the basics of Judaism on Yahoo Answers that even goyim should know. Nothing deep, secret or mystical.  

Source(s): Orthodox Jew

You misunderstand the training of the Psychiatrist. Any person telling him that he heard the voice of God telling him to sacrifice his son but that God stopped him doing it once it was clear he was about to do it, would diagnose the person in front of him - not any invisible God. You equally misunderstand the account about Abraham and his son, Isaac.

Sociopathic, most likely. Oh, wait! You mean GOD??? NO, I take it back. Not sociopathic, just, um, GOD WORKS IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS AND WE CANNOT KNOW HIS MOTIVATIONS!! SHUT UP!!

Sincerely ignoring seems to be an atheist's method.

More of a matter for the police

Nut Job!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Delusions of grandeur. God complex. Sociopathy. Psychopathy.