what's the point of landlord reference ?

im looking around to move out of my current apt.

lets just say im the antisocial type. meaning I mind my business and don't talk to anyone in my building. never. ever.

anyway, as im moving out, I look around at apt listings and a lot say 'reference needed'.

I mean, ok cool I have no problem having a credit check to see if I can afford. but I mean, I don't see the point of calling my landlord and asking how great of a person or tenant I am. first of I never see them, second if they ask my neighbors they will say im an antisocial a*hole, which I am and I assume. im not doing anything illegal by the way I live I just don't give a cr*ap about others. moreover, its against the current landlord interest to have someone who pays consistent rent and never causes problem to leave. so what is my landlord supposed to say: yeah he is leaving and now I have to find someone else, I love him and thank him for that!

I just find it plain retarded to ask for references as such. same thing applies to jobs you apply for. may I call your current boss to let him know you're quitting for us ? lol I will never get it.

• ?

They can tell you if the tenant paid rent on time, if they treated the property with respect and any other information that might influence the decision.

It is not retarded.  How you see it is retarded.  You don't call anyone.  A prospective landlord is the one who calls and checks the references you give, to see how you were as a tenant, whether you paid on time, whether there were any complaints against you, any issues with people you brought on to the property that caused trouble, etc. 

• ?

The landlord reference is usually about whether you pay the rent on time and are up to date on your payments (figuring if you paid the prior landlord then you'll probably pay them). Nobody particularly cares how "social" you are, they just want to make sure they will get paid.

The point is to make sure you are a good tenant. Any landlord that does not properly check referenes is a moron & probably a slumlord.

It is not a personality contest. It has nothing to do with if the landlord likes you or not. How little you see them is irrelevant.  All they will ask is if you pay on time & if you have received any notices."what is my landlord supposed to say: yeah he is leaving and now I have to find someone else, I love him and thank him for that!" YES! As long as you give proper notice in accordance with your state laws & are not breaking a lease then what your landlord thinks about you leaving is also irrelevant. They do not get a choice in the matter.

They talk to the landlord NOT the neighbors. Landlords are not ging to drive over there & interview your neighbors. That is rediculous & no idea where you got that cockamame Idea.

The landlord reference covers whether you pay on time,  missed any payments,  damaged the unit,  had police called on you. etc.

• Maxi

A landlord reference is about what type of tenant you have been...so always pay your rent on tie, each and every time, that you haven't been a 'pain in the neck' tenant having loud parties or damaging the property or evicted........as if you have been a bad tenant then a new landlord doesn't want to take you on so you can be a bad tenant with them

• ?

That is not the reference they need.  The point is "they pay their rent on time, no problems, etc".  Landlords LOVE quiet tenants that don't cause trouble and pay on time.  

It's just another way to try and prevent getting a bad tenant. Not full proof but a lot of those who will decide later not to pay you probably don't have the skills to fake a reference.