Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

what's the difference between a Desktop and a Tower?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

Tower computers sit upright, providing interior access through side panels. Desktop and tower computers are two different styles of computer case that use desk space in varying ways. Desktop computers are designed to lay flat on the desk, while towers stand upright.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

. We humans invented tables...or desks.  Later we invented Towers.  My tower sits on the floor-something by my feet.  My desktop sits of the top of a desk. It is a matter of how big your desk is.  It is a style.   I was thinking of putting a whale tail on my pc with fins and a running board...and rumble seat with a snack box to hold my coffee. and maybe headers and mags with flames.

You know the room you got for a computer(maybe lots, maybe little and you buy the one that fits.)  With smart phones, their computer is in their back pocket, briefcase or purse.  Because we have not built it to the size of a wrist watch yet.

• MIKE
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Today, nothing. no difference. They were just known as desktops first because they were layed down on a table. The term Tower came later when they realized you could stand it up. Then Rig because it sounded cooler. I wonder whats next? What would we call it if we find out we could hang it?

• 1 month ago

Tower computers sit upright, providing interior access through side panels. Desktop computers are designed to lay flat on the desk, while towers stand upright. Most modern computers use one of the three sizes of tower case.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Tower computers sit upright, providing interior access through side panels. Desktop computers are designed to lay flat on the desk, while towers stand upright. ... Most modern computers use one of the three sizes of tower case.

• 1 month ago

There is "official" definition of what is a desktop and what is a tower.  But general a tower id designed to sit upright (thus the name "tower") and has a larger case that allows for more drives, expansion cards and other extras.  They are generally high end PCs or servers.  While a desktop is smaller in size, can be used upright or laying down, and designed to take up less space so that it fits more easily on to the top of a desk (thus the name "desktop".)

Desktop computers also come in Small Form and Micro factors.  Small Form is a case that has just enough pace for the standard items in a PC.  It might have room for one additional drive and a couple of add on cards.  It is usually about have the size of a desktop computer.  While a micro is smaller still, with no additional space inside it.  

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

none , desktops have a smaller case , towers are for expansion , more slots and drive bays . Just the case size thats all .

• keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Traditionally, desktops lay flat on the table with the monitor on top of it while towers are usually placed on the floor. That was eons ago. Nowadays, they're all desktops, standing tall, and towers are merely larger versions of it.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

A desktop could be any PC that doesn't have a battery.     A tower is the case configuration, typically rectangular and stands up like a tower.   People often prefer the tower desktops since they can use full size PCIe cards and power supplies.

• 1 month ago

A desktop is any computer that works on your desk top. The original ones laid flat, often with the monitor perched on top. Some still do. A tower is just a desktop that sits in a vertical orientation as most do these days, called a tower because it's taller.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.