Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

hey asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 2 months ago

I need help with an AP Physics 1 FRQ?

Here is the FRQ, the attached image is the graph it refers to:

Two identical objects, A and B, move along straight, parallel, horizontal tracks. The graph attached as the image represents the position as a function of time for the two objects.

(a) At approximately which time or times, if any, are the objects moving at the same speed? If the objects are never moving with the same speed during the interval shown, indicate this explicitly. Briefly explain your answer.

(b) Describe what is happening to the positions of objects A and B between 3 seconds and 4 seconds.

(c) Which object, if either, has an acceleration with a greater magnitude during the time interval shown in the graph? If the accelerations have the same magnitude for both objects, indicate this explicitly.

(d) In a clear, coherent, paragraph-length response, explain your response to part (c). Be sure to reference and compare the graph information for both objects A and B. 

Attachment image

1 Answer

Relevance
  • NCS
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

(a) To my eye, they never have a common speed. That would require the two curves to have the same slope at the same time, which doesn't appear to me to be true.

(b) B is ahead of A but is slowing down and being passed by A, which has been moving at constant speed.

(c) B has an acceleration with greater magnitude. (In fact, the curve for A doesn't show any acceleration at all.)

(d) A has a constant slope, and therefore a constant velocity (and therefore displays no acceleration at all). B starts ahead of A initially with a velocity greater, but then decelerates as it nears t = 4 s. At around t = 3.7 s, B's velocity (slope) has nearly dropped to zero, and it gets passed by A.

If you find this helpful, please select Favorite Answer!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.