Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 2 months ago

Please help me interpret this - I have Aspergers and struggle to do so myself?

Hi everyone,

I just please wanted to ask for some help in interpreting this particular response to one of my messages. 

I think the tone of the message (below) sounds angry at me, and that this person hates me now. 

I posted to someone who I once knew from school that I was lonely at uni and that I had no friends and that people were calling me names. I felt very down and under pressure at Uni when I did, and think that this person is angry at me now. Do you think this is good advice to what I posted, or do you think this person hates me? He responded:

'First of all you need to chill. You are not a retard. The dictionary definition does not apply to you because you are social and you know how to interact with people. Only you can change your loneliness. Throw caution to the wind. Join a club/society. Ignore those who insult you - you have dealt with worse at school. If you think you have no friends then you are wrong. Look up the definition of friend in a dictionary and apply it to people you know. It's not all about uni work. You need to put yourself out there and friends will come your way.'

Do you think that this is good advice, or do you think that the person who wrote it now hates me and is angry at me? Is this person my friend or have I made them angry at me?

Thank you all so much for any advice.

He is a friend and his advice is "right on". Why would you assume that someone would "hate" you for posting something? Why would he be "mad" at you? You need counseling so that you can converse with people in a normal manner. That is not normal or healthy.

• ?

I agree with mockrie. If this person hated you and/or didn't care, he wouldn't have responded at all! He's basically just saying, "If you're feeling lonely and you have no friends, stop feeling sorry for yourself and do something about it, because you're a great person and people will like you if you give them a chance." In other words, he's trying to give you a little push and help you help yourself.

• mokrie

I am POSITIVE that the response shows how much they really LIKE you and care about you. They are NOT mad at you and they really truly want to help you. Their advice is good. Just like learning to play piano you need to practice a lot and it works the same with getting to know people, read their faces and get over worrying about who accepts you and who doesn't. Getting out and PRACTICING socializing will make you get really good at it. And trust me when I tell you that every person on the face of the earth is liked by some and disliked by some. The thing is to concentrate on those that like you and ignore those that don't. Never let someone not liking you bother you . It's no big deal. 

i dont think theyre angry, theyre just trying to help you out

You've posted this at least 50 times and for more than a year. Go see a therapist about your OCD.

Your friend put effort into their response by giving lots of tips and advice on how to make friends with people. What they wrote was all very good advice with no anger. The effort they put in to respond to you, shows they care for you. 

I don't read any anger in it at all.  I think it is excellent advice.  Sounds like you have at least one friend, and a smart and level-headed one at that.