Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Am I a bad person?

I’ve been sober since August 14th 2020 and I don’t ever think about using anymore. Honestly, I was never that bad off and what I mean by that is that I never stole from people. If I didn’t have the money I just wouldn’t get the dope, but I still worked and paid my bills. Anyways, I’m done with that life style and you couldn’t pay me to go back. 

However, I have a new addiction and that addiction is spending money on clothes and shoes. I’m a very greedy person and I don’t really think about anyone but myself. This is why I feel like I’m a terrible person. My social skills are shot which makes people think I’m a jerk but really I’m just shy. I’m a 26 year old man. What can I do to change? 

You need to see a therapist to help you find acceptable ways to handle your self-esteem issues and shopping addiction.

I guess the root of the problem is that you're looking for happiness and satisfaction. Drugs didn't give you want you wanted, and you had the strength and wisdom to see that and break away, but you were still left with an emptiness so you tried to fill it with something less harmful. Now you're finding that spending selfishly doesn't really satisfy either. The good news is that you are recognising the problem and wanting to change for the better, and that puts you in a much better position than someone who thinks everything is fine and they can keep going as they are.

The truth is that, although you can buy fun, and you can buy comfort (up to a point) you cannot buy satisfaction. Living for your own sake is not a satisfying and purposeful existence, and even though some people think they can find satisfaction that way it only lasts as long as their prosperity and good health lasts, and as long as they can shut out the nagging doubts of conscience. You can only find real, lasting satisfaction by living for others and, above all, by living for God. That means taking some risks in trusting other people and forcing yourself out of your comfort zone. It also means making the effort to look seriously into the bigger questions of life, and to make the effort to find out for yourself whether there is truth in the Christian message.

(By the way, be careful of the other answer that links to jw.org - that is the Jehovah's Witness website, and they are not a particularly reliable source of religious teaching)

I was like you. This article helped me change. https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/watchtower...

• Andy C

Therapy,  Therapy. 

Goes everywhere a therapist can.