Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 2 months ago

Will a scammer come to your house? ?

My mother in law has been involved in something for about a month. I do not have the full details, because she is being secretive about it. She has told my husband some details, but not many. She told him that they told her not to tell people about it. She said she won a sweepstakes. She says she is supposed to win 7 million dollars, candy apple red Mercedes, and $2,000 a week for the rest of her life. I do know that a couple weeks ago she sent someone $400. Then they told her they were mailing her a check over a week ago for $30,000. They also said they were going to meet her at her bank to cash it. So when it came it was $500. She took it her bank to cash this Monday. They told her they have to hold it for a week. So then they were supposed to come today with her car and 7 million dollar check. They actually did come to our town today. Or thats is what my husband said she told him. We were both at our house asleep because we work third shift. I was told that they meet her at the bank. She is in her 60's. She does not have any money in her account. She gets a monthly check. She is always broke. My husband has told her multiple times that this is a scam. What kind of scam are they working on her? I have read of different scams. But this one is new to me. I did not think they usually come to your town, and meet you at the bank. Does anyone know what this could be? And is there anything i can do? 

One reason i have not went behind her back to report it to the police dept is they may not do anything. She was scammed over 5 years ago. I actually went with her to the police dept because i told her that was a scam. They basically blew us off, and said there was nothing they could do. She should have learned her lesson by now. 

• T J

She is falling for that scam hook line and sinker. Your husband better alert her to give no money and sign nothing unless he is there with her.

Sure! Once they've emptied out the bank accounts they very well might come to the home and empty it out as well. Your MIL is totally getting ripped off. Sorry for it. 

SCAM> if she didn't BUY the ticket, then she didn't win a thing and they will keep asking for money as long as she keeps paying. Legitmate lotteries don't charge the winners any costs. 

I don't know what scam this is, but in a way it doesn't matter.  There are new ones every single day.  What your husband needs to think about is whether or not he should pursue a power of attorney over his mom's finances.  This might sound strange, but in my own family, I saw what happens when people wait too long.  I had an unmarried aunt growing up who had a lot of money and was leaving it to me and my sibs.  She got older and lonely, and entered every contest on the planet.  I don't think anyone ever came to meet her, but I wouldn't pay much attention to that.  I can guarantee they weren't there to hand over a Mercedes.  

60s is a bit young to have cognitive problems, but I really think your husband needs to do more (assuming his dad isn't around).  He can try appealing to her logically but if this fails, she could easily live another 20 years or more.  She'll need her finances handled by someone else.

• i + i

99.99% chance this is a scam. 

my guess is that your mom is 

going to end up way overdrawn 

due to bad checks, her identity 

stolen, maybe even persuaded 

to do some illegal things. Since 

the police are lazy about it, you 

need to go to the bank and warn 

them directly yourself. 

Of course scammers come to your bloody house. 

The people to ask this are the Police in your City.