Just out of curiosity, what size was your rock?

... and what year did you receive it?

This is just a guess that ladies used to have smaller rocks than the two-, three- and four-carat rings they have gotten lately ... although reportedly, young women are now trending back toward the smaller stones.

But, anyway, to help my informal theory, if you don't mind answering, how big was your diamond and what year did you get it?

Favorite Answer

No clue.  It was used - from his mom's second marriage.  He traded her an old computer and printer for it.  I liked it well enough, but I work on computers (hardware work) and it got in the way.  I haven't worn it in years.  He gave it to me in 1990 or so.

• DK439

according to your mother and girlfriend, they were not disappointed.

I don't know what size it was but it was set in a way that made the diamond look larger than it actually was.  I didn't mind that, I chose it anyway and loved it for what it signified.  That was 1966. The size of a stone in a ring is not going to determine the happiness of the couple anyway. We are either loyal or we are not and mine, eventually, was not loyal.  I gave the ring back to him (and all the other items he'd ever given me) on the day that I left him to live alone.  I'm happy that way - without the ring and without him. Some things are not worth keeping.  He did not return anything at all that I had given to him.

I have two of them, and they used to be much larger than they are now in my old age.

1/4 very small.

• Ann

3/4 carat, which was a good size back in my day (the 1950's)

There is a rule that men should be aware of when shopping for a ring: The bigger your cock, the smaller the rock.

This requirement of a diamond by many woman shows how little they value their husband's love. First you want a diamond engagement.  Then you want a bracelet, later a pendant, earrings, and a necklace.  And then you want a sperm donor, who you later nag and whine at.  No matter the occasion, if it isn't a diamond it doesn't count.  Then you want a house.....oh by the way what did you gift your man?  Socks?  Underwear, a lawn mower?  When are you going to admit you just don't treat the gift giving equally?

• .

My diamond is on the smaller side, I don't know the carats (maybe .5? I think? .8?). I wasn't involved in picking it out, because I didn't want an engagement ring, let alone a diamond, in the first place. I got it in 2010.

Ohhh - I thought you were asking something else.  Never mind