Orthodox Jews: Do you believe a Jew can be very holy and love God and break Shabbat and Yom Tov, not keep kosher, and not davin?

I am a Jew but am not observant in these three ways. However, I am very close to God, love God intensely with all my soul, and am a very holy, moral individual. For many Jews the same is true.

But what do you personally think? If I violate these commandments, am I somehow like a non Jew and don't love God? If so, please give me scriptural proof in Torah that would prove it.

Thanks! God bless you all. Shalom aleichem.

• EddieJ
    Favorite Answer

You say you are very close to God.  Does that mean you are within 15 cm?

You claim to love God intensely, and then you make statements to show that you don't.

You say you are very holy.  Do you really have a coconut milkshake EVERY day?

It seems that you have forgotten the Alamo.

As a Jew, you are obliged to perform all 213 ordinances of the Levitical Law to be in "good standing" with G-d. (Where do you go to perform your blood sacrifices for atonement these days?) But one does not have to follow the Law to feel close to Him. As a Jew who has accepted Messiah, I feel closer to G-d now than I ever did when I believed my good works and obedience would be acceptable to YHWH (Isaiah 64:6). The Shema of Deuteronomy 6:4,5 is sufficient to let me know that I have three parts, mental, physical, and spiritual for His worship, and am therefore made in the image of G-d as stated in Genesis 1:26, 27. Psalm 51:11 & Proverbs 30:4 affirms my faith. Shalom !