Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Do Amish farm houses have toilets with modern plumbing? Or do they just poop in a hole in the ground?

How do Amish 💩 in the 🚽?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Instead of indoor plumbing and toilets, they use outhouses. They then dip out their waste by bucket, treat it with lime, mix it with animal manure and spread on their farm. The county’s threat notwithstanding, they say the practice should be protected from county regulation because it is woven into their religious belief system that dictates they live simply.

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-environment-watc...

• 2 months ago

i would think they would have toilets

• Justin
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Most Amish have both 'outhouses' and modern indoor toilets, sinks, etc..., though they have rules about how 'fancy' or large the indoor plumbing fixtures can be. They must appear 'plain.'  

The stricter 'Old Order' Amish sometimes only have outhouses, which are essentially lime lined holes in the ground covered over by a wooden structure with a door for privacy. Inside the little 'house' is an elevated wooden seat with a hole located directly above the hole in the ground acting as a toilet seat. 

• Sky
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The very orthodox/traditional Amish and Mennonite communities will still use an outhouse because they shun modern conveniences like electricity which would pump water to their indoor plumbing.  More modern Amish people maintain some older traditional behaviors but do use some modern things such as automobiles, electricity, and phones, as well as indoor plumbing.  I used to live next door to an Amish farm that had a satellite dish on the roof.

• 2 months ago

Most Amish communities allow indoor flush toilets.  For those that don't, they will use outhouses use a chamber pot indoors.  

I have used outhouses.  They are okay.  Pretty much like using a porta-potty.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.