Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

Where does a comma go in this sentence or should there be a comma at all?

“insert quote here” is a famous saying from John Smith.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

No comma at all.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

No comma.      

• 1 month ago

no comma. the quote is acting as the subject (a phrasal subject).  You do not offset the subject from its verb by interjecting a comma.  "Running down the hill is a lot of exercise", not "running down the hill, is a lot of exercise".

This is different from the use of an interjection, such as "running, especially up a hill, is a lot of exercise."

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No, you don't need a comma but you DO need a capital "I" for "Insert".

"Insert quote here" is a famous saying from/by John Smith.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Use a comma before any coordinating conjunction (and, but, for, or, nor, so, yet) that links two independent clauses.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No, DO NOT put a comma after the quote! I don't know why that suggestion got a thumbs up, and I don't know why people answer questions on here when they don't know what they're talking about. The quote is the subject of the verb "is". You don't separate the subject from the verb with a comma. 

• 1 month ago

i dont think you need a comma there

• 1 month ago

You can put a comma after here. That is after the close quote after 'here'. There's no absolute rule here. Also capitalize 'I'.

" Insert quote here", is a famous saying from John Smith.

Source(s): Native American English speaker for 68 years.
  • 1 month ago

It needs no comma.  The first letter of "Insert" should be capitalized.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.