Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

JA asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

Can you help me with English please?

It’s really sad that despite wrestling being such a popular sport in India, Indian wrestlers have disappointed in the Olympics.

Even our boys can bring home medals.

But where is the support?

Neither money, nor facilities

How will our boys win a medal?

If a medal could be won with words, you would have won it a long time ago.

1. What do these words "even" and "facilities" mean in this case?

2. What does "home medals" mean??? I'm a bit confused about this expression.

3. What does "support" mean?

Thank you.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

'Even' is hard to explain.  It means 'as well as'.  Bears are dangerous, snakes are dangerous, but even rats are dangerous.

Facilities means buildings and equipment.  'Our elementary school has facilities for 1000 students.' 

Our boys can bring home medals.  That is to say, our boys can win medals and bring them home.  Our boys can bring medals home.

Support usually means money.  When I was a child, my parents supported me--that is, they fed me and gave me a place to sleep.  But support also means what fans do--come to sporting events, cheer for their team, or a big crowd showing up at the airport when the team comes back from a foreign event.

• 2 months ago

The writing is weak, so I think of it this way 

... Indian wrestlers have disappointed us in the Olympics, even when they bring home medals (bring awards or trophies back to the homeland). 

But where is the support? We don't give them either money or facilities (gyms, weight rooms, buildings to practice in, etc.).

• 2 months ago

it all sounds okay to me

• Lisa A
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Facilities are things that cost money. Like gymnasiums, uniforms, sports equipment, training equipment, like weights for strength training.

Home and medals are part of two different phrases. Consider the words "Bring home" together. It means to bring something to your home, or in this case, to bring something to your home country. So they will bring a medal to their home country.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.