Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

joana asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

How can I go to the gym alone without feeling like everyone is looking or judging me? ?

I am 18 years old and I really want to start going to the gym but the thing is, I don’t have anyone to go with me so I have to go alone. Last year my mom even payed me the gym for 3 months but I only went one time and it was horrible. I am kinda insecure and it felt like everyone was judging me and there’s some people who looked at me directly, it was very uncomfortable. I really want to start doing exercise and start feeling good in my body but I freak out the moment I step in the gym. Please, if someone could give me tips about this I would appreciate it so so much! Some people told me to go at night because at that time there’s less people there, what do you think? This whole thing can sound a little ridiculous but really bothers me :( 

maybe you can buy gym equipment and exercise at home

First off, anyone that picks on anyone going to the gym is stupid. You are all there for the same reason: to exercise. I have found that working out with someone is really distracting for me, so when I used to go, I actually preferred to go alone, and a ton of people go alone. Gym bullying has really gone down, because a lot of places won't stand for it at all. They have zero tolerance when it comes to the pig-headed muscle monkeys that act like know everything and own the place.

Also, you need to stop it. It's not all about YOU. No one cares in the slightest that you're working out or talking about you or even looking at you the way you think they are. Many people look at other people in the gym, whether to check them out or to see if they are even doing the exercise right in the first place. I know my first few times at the gym, I was looking at the people (WHO WERE ALSO ALONE) using the same machine to see if I was even using the machine correctly, not judging them because they were alone or anything. I would also check out how much weight they were pressing, how long they were taking, trying to assess if I should be doing the same thing. I wasn't making fun of them, even in my head.

So just go. I understand your issue, but honestly, this sounds like a bit of narcissism on your part. No one cares as much as you think they do. If they are looking at you, let them look. So what? They are entitled to think whatever the hell they want, and it doesn't affect you or your workout in the slightest. I used to go in sweats, no makeup, hair in a bun. I lived in Southern California, Land of Crotch Jockeys (as I called them), you know...the girls who go wearing matching exercise gear that cost $300, full hair and makeup, would walk .5 mile per hour on the treadmill and were only 100 lbs. soaking wet. They went to pick up guys and show off. I didn't give a hoot. NO ONE CARES. Just go and workout.