if someone rings your door buzzer at 3am in the morning, what should you do?

i live in a small block of council apartments, and a couple of weeks ago, someone rang on my intercom door buzzer at 3am in the morning, i live alone on the 3rd floor of a 4th story building, and in the darkness of my bedroom i felt creeped out and a little frightened....i ignored it and didn't answer the intercom......but want to know how you should respond to situations like that?

i'm a male in my 40s.

Favorite Answer

If someone rings MY buzzer I can look at the video monitor that shows the image from the cameras positioned with views of who is at each door. I then evaluate the risk of interacting with such a person.

This happened to me a few weeks ago, at 1 AM, and it was a masked man standing on the porch with a gun. Turns out it was a state trooper looking for information about an elderly neighbor who couldn't be reached. I gave the trooper the phone number for the neighbor's handyman, who has a key, and went back to bed.  I routinely ignore people who show up at my door uninvited, day or night.

They would meet Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson.

• ?

Hopefully they are considerate and ring it gently so they don’t wake me up.

• Rick

I'd answer it with my pistol in my hand ..........................

Depends really. Do I smell smoke and hear the crackle of burning wood(even though I do not have a fireplace) Usually that is the reason the door bell rings at 3 in the morning.  A macho male?  should have answered the door with beer in hand and party hat on. Maybe it is Pizza.

put on some lingerie and answer the door

Exactly how you did.  Ignore it.  

i would just ignore it,or if you think someone needed help you could call the police and ask them to check it out

• ?

Do not answer and if happens more than you are comfortable with call the police and ask them. 

• T C

Every body and every situation is different ....What you did was perfectly acceptable and safe considering your situation.