Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 1 month ago

Why are there still people on this planet who enjoy Baseball?

It's incredibly boring, the teams, players and athletes CHEAT and are incredibly UNLIKABLE and IT'S INCREDIBLY PRETENTIOUS AND BORING.

I like baseball. Loved playing it. Love watching it. Although I agree that to someone who is unfamiliar with the nuances the game can be boring. Some players are extremely unlikable unless they play for the fan’s favorite team. Think Dennis Rodman or Deion Sanders. When those guys were on your team you loved them. If they played for anyone else, well you didn’t love them. To watch and even study the dozens of games in each game is amazing. Is the second baseman shading and giving away the pitch to the batter? Is the guy on first taking his standard lead or walking lead to get a jump? Is the catcher calling for a pitch-out for a snap throw to first? All manner of tiny decisions are being made each pitch and then after the batter steps back in all of those decisions are being re-thought. In any other sport a 30% success rate is horrible. In baseball a 300 average is pretty doggone good. It is near impossible to be great at baseball but almost anyone can be competitive. Aaron Judge is 6-6 or 6-7 and Jose Altuve...isn’t. Tall, short, hulking, small of stature, fast or maybe not so fast most can play. Few play great but most can try. But I cannot understand what is pretentious about baseball. You don’t like it. Fine. Don’t like it. But not all of the people on the planet agree with you. 

Maybe no one told you this, troll. Not everyone has to like the same things you do. There are more than 8,000,000,000 People on Planet Earth, so we can have more than 8,000,000,000 Difference of Opinion.

I don't find it boring.  Do you believe that everyone should view baseball the way you do?  Or view anything the way you do?

That's an irrational and unreasonable mode of thinking.

The simplest answer is that as long as there are enough people who enjoy baseball, it will continue to exist.  Part of that is business, the other is that it's just a game.  "Just a game" like poker, soccer, football or any other game is just a game.

It's also an industry, though.  It's money.  Big money, like all other commercial sports.

So why aren't you asking the same question about football, soccer, cricket, hockey, et al?

Because you're not asking an honest question.  You're just ranting about something you don't like.

What made you go to a Q&A forum to ask a rhetorical question to rant about something you don't like, insult something millions of your fellow humans love, while violating the rules of this public forum?

Because it's the American pastime. 

Yes. I am a baseball fan. I have been one since I was a kid but I haven't watched pro baseball in a number of years.

Baseball is relaxing, like golf and bowling and pool/billiards/snooker. I never liked physical contact sports.

It's slow moving, sure. But it's more of a strategy game. Stealing bases, stricking out batters, hitting to a part of the outfield.

Source(s): Different strokes for different folks.
  • David

Because it's the greatest game on earth.

You know nothing about baseball. Too bad. Your ignorance is depriving you of a great sport. A strategic, masterful and logical game. 

Are there intelligent, sophisticated sports fans around?  Yes, at baseball games   

If there are people that still post garbage anonymously on message boards, there are people that will do and enjoy anything.

There is no rock bottom.