Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 2 months ago

Does this sound creepy to you?

I haven’t had a boyfriend in years and I am 21 years old. I recently started going on dates again, I’m using this dating app where the men are somewhere between the ages of 25-30 years. My parents called me to check on me and I told them I’m dating again. They gave me some advice and they told me the age gap is huge and I’m better off dating a high school student because we are both inexperienced. I don’t need their approval and they can have their own judgements, but isn’t it weird and illegal to date a teenager as an adult? I need to make sure I’m making the right decision.

@Drewcoons would it be the same life experience if I still lived at home paying bills? My parents just seem to think if you are in your late teens and early 20s you have the same mentality. 

@Torchbug I just prefer older guys. I’ve dated guys my age.

Favorite Answer

You're on safe ground and making better decisions than the advice from your parents. Do NOT start dating teenagers. You will hate yourself.

I agree that it's a bit weird to date a teenager. Illegal, too, maybe, depending on the laws where you live. There is a middle ground to consider - don't date high school students and don't date older men. Why not use a dating app with guys around your own age? 

You're obviously just attracted to older guys, as a lot of girls your age- (my girlfriend included), seem to be nowadays. My girlfriend's coming up for your age and I'm almost forty-two, but the age-gap's a non-issue between me and my other half. It don't even enter into the equation. We don't really even think about it. I'll tell ya now, sweet, that most lads your age just want bloody sex. Most thirty-pluses want commitment. 

It is not illegal to date someone under 18.  However it may be illegal to have sex with them.  The age of consent varies from state to state, and in some states even that is legal if there is less then a certain number of years difference between your ages.  

However, I would questioning dating someone who has zero life experience.  They are still in high school and no nothing about "real life", holding a job, and being on their own.  You would be smarted to date someone at the same stage of life that you are at. Just starting out on your own.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of fake profiles on most dating sites.

It's illegal for you to form a romantic or sexual relationship with anyone under the age of consent. The age of consent varies by state, but is generally 17 in most states, 18 in some, and 16 in a few. Yes, I think your parent's suggestion is a bit odd, but I understand where they're coming from.