Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 month ago

Are they saying this thing is still edible or that it was edible and they preserve did not long? I don't understand how it works    ?

* or that it was edible and they preserved it That long

Favorite Answer

"edible" would be debatable. 

I would think that it would be so salty and "mummified" that to try to eat it would be a challenge. 

The salt would preserve it

And "edible" also does not equate to tasty.  Edible meaning it would not make you ill if you ate it (keeping it down would be another matter)

I must say if I were going through that area I would make a side trip to see it. 

(side note and I might be considered a heretic for saying this but not a fan of Country Ham but it has been a while, they are just too salty for me and do require a lot of prep work.) 

They probably finish-fed the pigs on acorns. This is done with hogs and boars to produce prosciutto. The meat from them is simply hung up to dry for a season and lasts for years without refrigeration because the tannins from the acorns they ate acts as a preservative. Smithfield may have been experimenting the same process with pigs for making shelf-stable ham.