Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Dog is a fussy eater, what to do?

My dog eats dinner. In the morning, I feed my cat, dog and I go for a walk, then come home, he goes outside to poo (he's poo shy, only will go in my backyard), then after that, he's on the couch. At around 9am, it has become a treat time ritual  for my cat, so I go downstairs and set him up with a little bit of crunchies. Around this time, dog will perk up and I will get him his kibble and put it on the floor and most days, he takes it (considered his breakfast), but some days, he does not. On the days that he doesn't, he will either wait until dinner, but lately, he's been bugging me now at 10am, or 11am...do I go ahead a feed him, or is his 9am window IT? Like, sorry bud, you missed your feeding time, and that's that? I feel bad, but again, I'll say 5 out of 7 days, he'll take the 9am feeding. 

I don't want to make him a picky time eater, I don't want to give in, but is it bad that he's begging for food at 10am instead of the window I made for him to eat? I read some things online and a lot agreed, saying to not give in, because he's "training you" to feed him whenever HE wants, and that's now how it should be done. Only offer 9am or whatever time you've chosen and if he doesn't eat, that's on him. Do you agree? Anyone been through this before?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

My dog is the same way. Sometimes he'll take his breakfast, sometimes he won't even budge from the dog bed when I offer. Nothing wrong with him; he's a good, healthy boy otherwise, gobbles up all his dinner when offered, but breakfast? Very hit and miss with him, always has been. As a puppy, he ate. Then right after neutering, he stopped. Then after he turned one, ate breakfast every day for 5 months, then stopped suddenly, again. Took him to the vet, and after a few tests and other things, the vet told me not to read too much into it, that it could be playing games or that he's simply not hungry that particular morning at all. Only if he was acting totally lethargic, no energy, vomiting, diarrhea, rapid weight loss should I be concerned. None of those things have happened at all, so we just go by IF he's hungry or not. No biggie. He's just under 2 and is still gaining weight, so we're doing something right!

BUT, we do not allow him to be the boss. He gets a window, same as you and same as a lot of people. So 8am-8:30am is it. I will give him words like "hungry, yum yums, breakfast" all happy and cutesy and if he wags his tail, it's on. If he's laying down and can't be arsed, it's done. Oh, some days, like yours, he'll bug me at 11am or 12pm and I'm like, NOPE, sorry, you missed out! He'll get the idea that he can control me, and that's when I put my foot down. Big fat nope. He doesn't get to choose. But he will eat every speck of dinner, that's for sure, even on breakfast days. 

• Rita

Set out your dog's food for 30 minutes. If it isn't eaten, take it away. When it's time for your dog's next meal, set out the food again and take it away in 30 minutes, whether it is eaten or not. In a day or two your dog may start checking around for extra treats.

I agree with your last paragraph.

Feeding pets on THEIR demand may result in them developing undesirable behavior. 

It's also the reason I don't frequently use treats to get my pets to do stuff.   They should do stuff because I asked them to, not because I have a treat.  

• I’d suggest on the days that he’s refusing to eat on time, you add some gravy(wet dog food) on the kibble.This usually helps with picky eaters. Then if he still refuses to eat, stick to the schedule.Dogs can get bored of the same food after a while so try to spice it up.

Feed your dog once at the same time every day (I prefer morning).  Give him a few minutes to eat and if he doesn't, take it away again.  Don't leave food lying around all day.  Don't feed him again until the next day.  He'll get it.  Who's training who?