Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 month ago

Do you agree with this?

I have been tutoring a family, there daughter is in intermediate school. She had a pretty low grade in math and I would help her with her daily work. I only help her with with her daily work because I don’t have enough time to help her with her additional work, like homework. I told her father this and he said he would take care of it, when her report card arrived she had a 30 in math. The mother had a meeting with me and told me that she recommends that I put my cell phone away and I pay attention to her daughter the entire time. I later explained to her what happened, but her statement sounded childish to me. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but does she have a right to tell me what to do regarding my personal life. I sometimes would take important phone calls or respond to my professors via email. 

Sorry I meant *their daughter I don’t know why my autocorrect changed it before I published it lol.

Hey there she actually isn’t there while I’m tutoring their daughter. At first, I didn’t think anything of the statement. I got another opinion from another adult and they told me she’s disrespecting me because she’s telling me what to do regarding my person life. I can understand her wanting me to pay attention to her daughter the entire time I’m there, but once my mother called me for something important and I stepped out of the room to talk to her.

@Gypsyfish I get paid to help her for 4 hours straight. She has three classes, that I also help her in. They told me to leave at 4pm and that if she has any homework I’m supposed to write it down in her planner. It takes the daughter longer to process information because she has a learning disability so she needs assistance.

@Tavy I agree with you thank you for your response. That was my initial thought. 

• Tavy
    Favorite Answer

You are being paid to tutor not answer your phone. It should be switched off. If you taught in a school you could not answer calls in the class.

Well, clearly something is not working! I don't understand what you mean when you say you help her with her daily work, but not with homework. What is there other than homework? The homework should be based on what she learns on a daily basis, and if she understood it after working with you, she should be able to do it on her own. When you have been this unsuccessful at a job, you really should be willing to take some advice, and to look for other ways to go about your work. 

Ignore the old bag. You can postpone responding to calls if you choose to. You could also turn the ringer off so the interfering woman doesn't hear it ring.

• Cogito

You're in their employ whilst you're there, so I'd tend to think the mother has a point.

I just hope you're not tutoring them in English!