Can landlords legally require that you work within the county in order to be able to rent of them? ?

I applied for an apartment in a different city. My income exceeds their minimum requirements by far. However, I was denied because my income wasn’t from a local source within their county. I was just wondering if this is legal? It seems more like discrimination to me. In no legal guide have I ever seen a clause stating that landlords can deny you based on the location you work in. People commute to different cities to work all the time so this seems ridiculous. 

It's legal for the simple fact that it doesn't violate any federal or state laws.  They can, by definition, legally discriminate in any way that is not illegal. For instance, they can legally deny your application because you filled it out in pencil or because you don't pay taxes in their town.

Most discrimination is legal.  If something seems like discrimination, that means that it is probably something that they can legally do.

There are only a few types of discrimination that are not legal, such as discrimination based on race, religion, etc.

There doesn't have to be a clause saying they can do it.  They can do anything unless there is something saying that they can't.

Getting back to your original question:

The answer to the question that you did ask is no:  They cannot legally require that you work.  If you are disabled and don't work, but have enough income, then they cannot discriminate against you for getting your income from disability benefits instead of from working.  However, if you are not disabled, and you do work, then this doesn't help you.

Of course it's legal. You can be denied for ANY reason that is not federally discriminatory. It is perfectly reasonable for a potential landlord to consider that, if you live in another city and your job source of qualifying income is in that city, you might quit that job and have no source of income. That is why the usual course is to secure employment in a new place before looking for an apartment there.

It's possible that is a requirement for the type of housing you applied for.  If it is somehow funded by the county this makes complete sense.  Putting that aside, nothing you say would make it illegal although it would be an odd way of doing business.  The closest you could come would be if the was some sort of correlation between each county and race and you could prove the landlord was using income location as a proxy for racial discrimination.  

Discrimination is perfectly legal so long as those denied are not a legally protected class. "People whose jobs are not local" isn't a protected class.

I'm not saying it's right, just that he's within his rights to do it.

• R P

Yes, it's discrimination, and yes, it does seem to be ridiculous, but it is not the illegal type of discrimination. 

So he wants to keep citiots out of his local community. Seems fair to me!!!

• Scott

"Living in a different county" is not a protected class of people. The landlord can rent to whomever he wants as long as he doesn't discriminate on the basis of nationality, gender, disability or religion, etc. 

In no legal guide have you ever seen a clause stating that landlords can deny you based on your love of Winnie the Pooh, either.   What's your point?

Legal guides can't possibly list every single thing someone can legally do.

???

You haven't read about it because it doesn't exist. Being from another state is not a protected class, which means it's not illegal to discriminate on that basis.