Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Puppy returns exhausted each morning is it ok?

We’ve a 6 acre farm and a couple of dogs.One of them gave birth 4 months ago and we were keeping the puppy within the house most of the time but lately it starts barking especially when it hears the mom outside and the neighbors weren’t happy.So this week we’ve been letting it out at night with the rest of the pack.wondering if it’s ok or too strenuous because it comes home exhausted in the mornings and proceeds to sleep for 5-6 hours without even feeding.It probably tries to keep up with the big dogs and they roam around freely at night.After resting it’s fine again and resumes eating and playing as normal.

Favorite Answer

It's totally, depending on the breed, unwise to let a puppy get to the point of exhaustion as described.   And why are you letting your dogs run loose at night in any case?   Unless your entire 6 acres are fully fenced?

Your puppy may well suffer for all this later on - what breed?    It's tempting to let them run, but for good reason people advise limited free running to 6 months, after which exercise should be gradually built up, including some organised road work, until by around a year if all has gone well, the youngster should be good to go.

On a 6 acre farm, how can your neighbors hear your dog barking in the house?  Pup is doing fine.  The object of exercising a dog is to wear it out so it will be exhausted after the exercise.  This sounds normal to me.

My Vet told me to treat my puppy like it is - a puppy, unable to keep up with my bigger, older dogs.  It's foolish to allow dogs to roam, and the puppy should be exhausted.

Sounds fine to me!  Of course it gets tired running around all night. Perfectly normal.  If it ran around all day long, it would be tired at night!  But you would be too, so you would think it was normal.