Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 2 months ago

Can your stomach digest spider venom?

Let’s say I ate a handful of venomous spiders.  Would I get seriously ill from the venom if it wot released in my stomach as opposed to being injected into my bloodstream?

Update:

*was

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Yes, because it's a protein.  Spiders have to inject venom for it to work.  However, any cut in the mouth or oesophagus would be risky.

• 2 months ago

Any spider venom is harmless if ingested or skin exposure.

Any venom for that matter.

Spiders, their venom, even their web is fit for human consumption.

A young Vietnamese man wants the Guinness record for eating 1000 live spiders at a single sitting.

Now a myth you eat spiders while sleeping is totally false.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tEzwKmIsyU

• M
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

The aswer is yes and no. First, yes because spiders, like all living organisms, are composed of biomolecules that the human digestive system can digest. No, not in the stomach. Most people think the stomach is where digestion occurs but it is not. Most digestion occurs in the duodenum. The stomach is basically a reservoir gradually releasing small amounts of chyme to the duodenum.

That is not to say no digestion occurs in the stomach because some does. Mostly proteins are partially digested in the stomach. Their digestion there is not complete. Rather polypeptides are broken down into smaller chains of peptides by endopeptidases, which are enzymes that do what has just been described.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes, like all venom, spider venom is made of proteins. It must be injected to be toxic. If consumed it will be digested like any other protein. Spiders are on the menu for lots of animals including man. 

Attachment image
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.