?
? asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Cat's learn by imitation. What uncatlike things has your cat learned?

We had a cat that turned doorknobs, one that ate with his paw, and one that liked to play catch and fetch (from watching us trying to teach the dog, who never grasped the concept).

Tinker tried drinking with a paw, but eventually concluded that it wasn't very efficient. Catching, yes, but throwing or batting the "ball" back to you? Accurately? Fluffy watched cartoons and turned up the volume.

• ?

A long time ago I installed a cat flap in the door and our cat at the time sat and watched me do it. We knew for a fact that she'd never seen a cat flap before.  Once I was finished I tested it by pushing it in and out, as you would, and once I'd cleared off out of the way she got up, went over and inspected it, then pushed it open and walked out. Later she came back the same way. So she'd worked out what it was for, seen how it worked and took that on board. No problem.

Eating with a paw is a very common cat behavior.   Many will drink water with their paw too. 

Playing catch is about as normal a cat behavior as there is.  

Back in the '90s before cell phones, my cat learned to knock my nightstand landline off the hook when she wanted breakfast in the morning.   If you're old enough to remember landlines, you know what a loud sound an off-the-hook phone makes.  She would use her teeth to grab the cord right by the earpiece and pull it right off.  And then sit there innocently staring at me.