Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 2 months ago

Is it possible for people who are doing your tax returns to get you less than what you’re supposed to? If so, how can you stop that?

What can you do to ensure that the person or people who is/are doing your taxes doing it right?

• ?

Easy, do it yourself.

Simple returns only require reading and math skills at the 6th grade level. More complicated returns require 8th grade level

I've filed taxes every year since 1964, had professionals do it twice due to unusual circumstances.  Only 2 times the IRS ever found mistakes, once in my favor the other in their favor

Preparing tax returns is an art, not a science. The answer to a lot of tax questions is "It depends."  Preparers can be conservative or aggressive and some issues are a close call.  I prepared one return where I left off income that IRS clearly states is taxable because I disagreed with the IRS regulation.  The case eventually ended up in Tax Court and before the judge ruled, IRS caved in and agreed that nothing was owed.  So go figure.

You review EVERYTHING. Then you don't sign the returns if you aren't happy with the job they did. It's simple enough--you don't hire someone and then tell them they have leeway to do whatever they want to without supervision. FIND OUT what they do, ask to have it explained, if you aren't happy, you don't sign the returns and don't let them file. Be a grownup. 

Actually, to make sure that person/persons do everything right you have to understand the issue, so you can check and control that person. In case you don't, you can find someone else to check the work of that person, or you could try to find a person you trust. So, in my opinion, you have the following options to choose from: do taxes by yourself, control the person who's managing your taxes (one way or another) or trust him to be sure he's a professional.

You can do your taxes yourself if you don't trust someone else to do your taxes correctly.

Sure, anyone can do a return wrong.

Its usually the software they are using and they all get the same math.

For years I used turbotax. One year I decided to try a cheaper one. I did mine at turbotax but did not pay. Then I did it at olt.com. Both gave me the exact same result. So I used olt.com and have not used turbotax since.

I have a lot of 1099s and its a pain having to reenter it every year which I would have to do for the free version. So I pay $7.95x2=$15.90 for their premium.

Its really easy to do it yourself.  Mine is pretty complicated when I have a lot of stock trades but its just simple entering data and a lot of the questions are no, no, no. But thats because it walks you thru everything.

Ive probably never spent more than 45 minutes. Unless I multi-task.

• ?

Of course it's possible, but not probable.  If yours is a relatively straight-forward return, you should be able to do it yourself or any preparer would get the same answer.  If your return is more complex, you should seek out an enrolled agent or someone that goes through the annual filing season program through the IRS.  Many people are getting smaller refunds this year and blaming it on the preparer.  They've forgotten that the withholding tables were lowered in the beginning of 2020 so less tax has been withheld. If they were on unemployment, they may not have had enough tax withheld there either.  There were a few quirky rule changes at the end of the year, so you need someone that keeps up. You are supposed to review the return before you sign the permission for it to be e-filed.  If something looks odd to you, ask.

Same thing you would do if you want to make sure your doctor has diagnosed you properly...get a second opinion.

?????

You don't need license to do your own taxes so that's always an option too.  The IRS doesn't hide the instructions...you just have to be willing to read them.   Unless you have a complex tax situation or you're not too bright, you should be able to figure it out.

You can do it yourself or then ask someone else to do them and compare results. There are no guarantees on tasks such as this one.