Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

Is it possible to recover repressed memories?

I wonder if I even have one. I remember when I was younger I would wake up and my bra, which clips from the back, would be unhooked. It happened a couple of times and I always seemed to have a weird feeling. I think I’m pretty paranoid. 

There is more, but I really don’t want to explain that rn. How can I recover possible repressed memories? 

How do I know if something happened to me?

1. I would always sleep with one on

2. I am not sure when these began occurring but I would have uncomfortable dreams that I was being raped and I don’t remember the details rn. It would always be the same exact person though. 

3. My whole fam was in the house. I was at home...

Experiencing a traumatic event can result in repressed memories, which unfortunately can trigger other painful conditions, like anxiety and depression.Although researchers believe recovered memories can be false memories, you may be able to recover your repressed memories by going to therapy, triggering your memories, or stopping your dissociative habits.

You may have been drugged prior to going to bed.  Who do you live with?  Who would mess with you while you're sleeping?  A traumatic incident can cause one to completely block out the incident.  You may be better off not knowing.  If you have to relive a traumatic event it could make things worse.  But I understand the need to know & that can be done through hypnosis.  Find a therapist that can assist you in the hypnosis.

• y

They will come, eventually, may be 20 or 30 years down the road, it will not be all of a sudden either, pieces will slip out, usually in the wrong order and usually with the wrong people involved. In the 90's, recover of them become something of a cult, it actually did more damage then good, memories were implanted more then real, but to the individual, they were/are real. Of course they supposedly figured out what they were doing wrong and corrected the issue. But still, many are not qualified to help one through these things and do more damage then good. So you'll need to research therapist and such, then cross your fingers.

The usual way to recover repressed memories is through hypnotism.  Since this is so personal, and there are so many unqualified people out there, it's important to get a certified hypnotherapist.  Click on the link below for information on how to find one.

https://blog.sfgate.com/lifestyle/2019/06/20/essen...

• Will

Yes it's possible and happens often to the patients once something triggers flashbacks or they are receiving therapy from a professional.

What you are mentioning lacks important details. You woke with your bra unhooked, so what. Did you always sleep with it on? Where were you when this would happen? Who was present in the household when this happened? You mentioned something that sounds completely innocent when no further details are mentioned.