Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Is it selfish to have kids if you have treatment resistant depression?

Some types of depression do not respond to medication, but they are still hereditary. IMO it’s selfish to pass a disease to a kid if it can’t be effectively treated 

What exactly is treatment resistant depression?  You say some types don't respond to medication, but anyone who thinks depression can be cured with a pill is misinformed.  It almost always involves talk therapy.  I don't know who you're talking about here, but have they gotten this therapy?  If they haven't, of course it's selfish to bring kids into it, but I've never heard of a genetic depression, let alone one that can't be treated.  

• ?

i dont think so, they might never get it, im an identical twin and my sister had schizophrenia all her life while i never got it and we have the same genes

• Helen

Yes it is, I agree.

No.  My partner and I are both depressive and it runs in our families.  It helps with empathy, means we perceive negative situations more accurately and makes us more creative.  Our son has the same benefits.  Our daughter isn't even depressive.