Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Is it selfish to have kids if you have treatment resistant depression?

Some types of depression do not respond to medication, but they are still hereditary. IMO it’s selfish to pass a disease to a kid if it can’t be effectively treated 

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

What exactly is treatment resistant depression?  You say some types don't respond to medication, but anyone who thinks depression can be cured with a pill is misinformed.  It almost always involves talk therapy.  I don't know who you're talking about here, but have they gotten this therapy?  If they haven't, of course it's selfish to bring kids into it, but I've never heard of a genetic depression, let alone one that can't be treated.  

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

i dont think so, they might never get it, im an identical twin and my sister had schizophrenia all her life while i never got it and we have the same genes

• Helen
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes it is, I agree.

• 2 months ago

No.  My partner and I are both depressive and it runs in our families.  It helps with empathy, means we perceive negative situations more accurately and makes us more creative.  Our son has the same benefits.  Our daughter isn't even depressive.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.