Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Informing Landlord of Moving Out?

I currently find myself in Massachusetts and I have a year long lease that ends on June 1. I Originally had planned to stay for a consecutive year, however roommate issue have pushed me to move out. I did not sign the lease for the next year, and I already found a new place once this lease is up. However, I did not inform my landlord that I am leaving. (I have been so busy that this just went to the bottom of my priority list) My current roommates found new tenants to move in once I leave, so I assume that they already signed the new lease. 

My question is, when should I inform my landlord that I am moving out? Did I mess up by not telling him before hand? Since I did not sign the lease for a second year, thus I didn't necessarily back out, should I expect my security deposit back? And how would I go about saying that I am moving out? Do I ask about the security deposit? I just do not want to risk loosing that large amount of money as it would be extremely beneficial for me to use for my new lease. 

Any advice or answer would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to read this post!

Your lease should provide the information on the time required to give notice before vacating. I would recommend you give the required notice and no more than that. Generally, it's 30 days although it could be different. Then, you and your belongings must be out of there by the final date. 

• Rita

Today's Date.

Landlord's Name.

Property Address and Unit Number.

State Your Desire to Move Out of the Apartment.

Include Desired Move-Out Date.

That You Expect the Return of Your Security Deposit Under State Law.

A Forwarding Address Where Your Security Deposit Can Be Sent.

Your Signature.

• ?

Read your lease, should provide your answers

READ your lease.  It would state how much notice you are required to give.  If you fail to give enough notice, then you owe rent for that time period.  You don't have to ask for your security deposit back.  Landlords are not stupid.  Well, most of them are not stupid.  They will return it to you by law, which varies from state to state, usually anywhere from 3 days to 45 days after move out.  Make sure you give him your new address.  Otherwise, you won't get your sd back.  He has to have an address to send it and he is not going to spend money to locate you to return it.

You have time to tell the landlord. He doesn't need 5 months of 'notice' to know you're leaving. And yes, you should get your deposit back. But watch those roommates--they could jeopardize that effort quickly if they all hang together and swear you did damage or didn't clean--so start documenting your living conditions NOW and present the whole thing to the landlord at least 30 days prior to leaving. 

You need to give the notice in writing as soon as you can.  30 day sis sufficient, but you help yourself by giving notice as early as possible.  Security deposit is not returned until the unit is vacated, and it wont' be.  Typical move here is for the new roommate replacing you to pay you your part of the original deposit.  

• n2mama

Not enough info provided to answer your questions. You need to inform your landlord of your intent to vacate at the end of your lease in writing, and in time that meets the requirements of your lease. Most common notice period is 30 days, but that’s not a universal guideline, so you need to read your specific lease. If it’s 30 days notice and you will be out by June 1, you need to give notice by the end of April.

If your lease is separate and independent of your roommates lease(s), then your landlord has to return your deposit or provide you with the written statement of deductions from your deposit in the time dictated by your local laws. This is generally within 30 days of moving out, but again, that’s not universal. If your lease is joint with your roommates and you paid a deposit together and they aren’t leaving, then your landlord isn’t going to refund your part of the security when you leave, as the unit is still occupied and subject to damage. If your roommates found someone else to move in, that person should be responsible for basically buying out your security deposit, since they are now taking occupancy and responsible for damages to the unit. The landlord will likely not refund the security deposit until the unit is vacant.

• Eva

How much notice does your lease say you are required to give?  Normally it's at least 30 days, but yours may be longer.  You are required to give notice, not just move out or substitute another roommate.  If you don't give notice, you will forfeit your security deposit.  Your landlord should do a walk through with you, write down any damages, and determine how much of your deposit will be returned to you.

No one here knows what your lease says or what you are required to do in order to terminate your tenancy.    Read your damn lease.

If you are on the same lease as your roommates and they are not vacating, the landlord won't be releasing your security deposit.   You will need to collect it from whomever is taking your place. 

You have to give the required notice as specified in your lease - generally this is at least one full calendar month. You need to give this in writing.