drake asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

I tried the bicep curl exercise in this video for about two months now?

https://youtu.be/1TP9BKqk_gs

I started off with a one rep max for one arm at about 50 lbs. Now it’s about 90-95 lbs.

However, here is my question: 

I’ve been trying to build strong biceps doing regular bicep curls for many years now and never have I ever even increased my one rep max by more than 3 reps. I’d go to the gym every other day doing 12 sets of 8-12 rep range with each set going to failure for at least a month. I’ve done this more than 15 times. Why can’t I get stronger doing it this way but I can get stronger doing it the way in the video? Can’t find the answer on google. Thanks in advance.

Doing high rep sets is training for size, not strength.  Training for strength involves doing one rep max lifts frequently.