CB asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Can hospital search my belongings with out my knowledge and remove yhings without telling me?

So i was in hospital for serious self harm which required surgery, not under a section of any kind nor am i now and have been allowed home, the self harm is an ongoing issue and has been for many years and most hospital staff know me, this time i was in, im pressuming whilst i was in theatre, the staff have gone thorugh all of my belongings i brought with me and removed things i pressume they thought where unsafe, i wasnt notified of any of yhis or aaked to be search the result is i didnt know there was anything missing as didnt know they had searched through my stuff and i have come home with things missing, im a little bit hurt by it as i have never self harmed in the hospital nor hurt anyone else and i wasnt even asked or even told this had happened, trust isnt something i give lightly and now that has been broken i feel let down, its not so much the searching, i get why they did it but its the not asking or even telling me about it thats got me especially as it was a general hospital and i wasnt under any kind of section, just recieving treatment for the injuries, iv never had this happen before to my knowledge and it may seem dramatic but im not sure how this is going to affect me with my decisions to get help for my more serious self harm in the future.

maybe, yes,,,,,

if you're in there for self harm, it would be smart to check you to make sure you don't have something that you can self harm yourself with again. especially since you're repeatedly in the hospital for said self harm. 

maybe he is right.

• garry

if there stolen or illegal they can , hear from the police knocking on your door to explain ...

Judy and Charlie are correct.

There is no freedom of speech, Yahoo deletes everything it does not like

• ?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do doctors, in the least, swore the oath? You know? "Do no harm." Still, that does place legal limitations only for "them" but not them. Also, you self identified that you could be a person that one could for your safety.

Must be tough, but understandable.

If you are a minor, your a parent or guardian can give permission to have your personal property searched.  Also, severe self harm can be classified as attempted suicide, which is a police matter, and they can get a search warrant.  No law requires them to tell you before or after.  Obviously, this is done for your own safety.

Given the reason you were admitted, yes they can. Alternately they can give you a hospital gown and disposable undies and deny you access to any of your own belongings.

It happens far too often and no it's not legal. They only had the right to search you or your belongings if you were deemed to lack the capacity to make that decision and it was in your best interests. It sounds as if you had the mental capacity to make the decision so their actions were in breach of your humans rights under The Human Rights Act 1998, Article 8; subsection 1 which highlights the need for individuals to have the right to a private and family life. The removal of objects from your bag was theft and it's up to you whether you report the incident to the police. If you feel up to it you should also report the incident to PALS to help stop it happening again. https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/hospitals/what-is-... I hope you're recovering well.

I forgot to add that if they felt the need to search your bag without your informed consent they would have had to call the police to do it, the same goes if you're admitted as an informal patient to a psych unit. I used to advocate for mental health patients.