Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 months ago

Is It hard to write with a quill?

Isnt it too thin compared to a pen?

The hardest part is plucking the turkey.

• John

Yes if you're used to using a ball point pen.

• kswck2

It requires a bit of practice, in that you need to hold it on a very specific angle else you will get a leak on your paper. 

• L

I've never had the opportunity to try this.  I have used a pen that held liquid ink......you would dip the tip into an ink well, suck up some ink and then write with it but for not very long.  I'm sure a quill pen would be something about the same.

Learning to cut the nibs probably hard if  you didn't grow up with it.

Yes, if you are not used to it.  

Have you ever tried to write with a dip pen?  The kind you dip into the inkwell and then write with?  You have to dip it every few words.  I suppose this is why, in the old days, they always got a violinist to play music while the children in class practiced penmanship.  They haven't taught penmanship in decades, though they used to even with pencils and ball point pens.  Now they don't even teach cursive writing in schools.

Put you back before, no other options to select, you would get used to it quickly and adapted for it.

A good one-I would think-Would be like an old fashioned dip pen. I have used them. It's actually very easy compared to modern ball point pens. More like felt-tip pens.

Source(s): Used steel tip pens for caligraphy

It's quite scratchy and the two sides tend to separate, but otherwise it's just like an ordinary steel dip pen.  Oh, the barrel is quite thin.

Don't try it with a swan's feather