Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 months ago

Christian converting to Judaism or Islam: OK?

I am Presbyterian, and we cherish our relationships with Jews and Muslims, considering them to be other people of faith.  We definitely respect their views and do not ever seek to convert them.

One of my Presbyterian friends converted to Judaism.

Given all that Jesus says in the Bible about being the Messiah, and I believe in Him fully (and that He is the Messiah), I have trouble with seeing someone convert to a religion that does not view Jesus as the Messiah.  It seems completely fine to me to be Jewish or Muslim (we all worship God), but going from believing in Jesus as the Messiah to rejecting that seems problematic.

What do others think: if you're Christian, is it fine to convert to Judaism or Islam?

Yes, the Bible says not to judge, and I view it as God's choice about how to respond to someone who converts from Christianity to another religion, but I wouldn't convert.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Maybe if someone doubted their faith, beliefs or married someone and changed their faith things like this sometimes happen.

I agree with you though, wouldn't change my faith.

The Bible talks about keeping the same faith as your fathers/ancestors.

The fact that Jesus gave us the New Covenant in his blood, for the salvation of souls, ought to tell you a lot about the insufficiency of both Judaism and Islam.

Judaism can do for you exactly as much as Presbyterianism can. 

If you want everything that God gives his human children today, come to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

No, it's not okay.  That would be destining yourself to hell.

• ?

More fool you in that case as its tantamount to jumping outa the frying pan and into the fire:

Not okay.  Muslim beliefs lead to eternal torment in the lake of fire, because muslim beliefs reject the truths that the Lord Jesus Christ is God and Savior.  So get completely away from muslim beliefs.  And also, Jewish people still need to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ in order to avoid hell, like all people.  The Lord Jesus Christ is God, and He loves you.  Believing in the Lord Jesus Christ means being forgiven all sins past and future, and means going to heaven and not hell.  Death leads to immediate heaven or hell, and it is too late to be saved, after death.  All believers still sin.  See 1 John 1:8.  To be in heaven and not hell, believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, who is God and who died on the cross and shed His blood to pay for all of our sins in full, and who was buried, and who resurrected from the dead.  The only way to avoid hell is by believing in the Lord Jesus Christ, without adding any of your own works.  See Romans 4:5, 1 Corinthians 15:3-4, and John 3:16.

Please see this research  for your decision by Michael H. Hart

I'm theistic in the Abrahamic tradition.  I no longer have Christian faith because I don't perceive the Holy Spirit helping Christians to avoid sin.  As for Judaism, it's fine but on the whole Gentiles are not called to convert.  They seem to be correct that Jesus was not the Messiah.

Judaism is not a proselytizing religion unlike Islam. The Talmud says gentiles can’t pry into the books of the Jews (talmud sanhedrin 59a, page 400, soncino edition, 1935.) 

Judaism also believes that Jesus wasn’t the Messiah. The Talmud says that Jesus was a sorcerer who was born from adultery and is currently boiling in a vat of hot excrement. (57a Gittin, London, soncino press, page 261, translated by M. Simon 1936.)

Muslims believe Jesus was a prophet and the Messiah who was born of a virgin and will return to save humanity in the end times. 

Islam is the better option. We know Christianity is a wild offshoot of Judaism ripped off from Greco-Roman pagan cults, but Islam came to complete Judaism. 

As for the Christians telling you to follow the religion of your forefathers, read the following Quran verse: 

“When it is said to them, “Follow what Allah has revealed,” they reply, “No! We only follow what we found our forefathers practicing.” Would they still do so even if Satan is inviting them to the torment of the Blaze?” [Quran 31:21]